August 17, 2009

the 10-day challenge

new york city - food capital of the world. from shi-shi restaurant scenes to gourmet shops, beer gardens to chocolate bars, the big apple has the best and most diverse edibles in the world. yup, this city isn't just a big apple - it's the biggest. and like most new yorkers, i like to take large bites out of it on a pretty regular basis.

thus, in celebration of this great city (and in reaction to my recent lack of goal-setting), i am putting myself to the 10-day challenge. the idea: to eat. a lot. of really new and interesting things, which i already do here, but now i'm inviting all my fellow new yorkers to join me on my foodie quest.

how it's done: every day for the next 10 days, i will be picking a place that i've wanted to check out but haven't gone yet. if my friends are willing and adventurous and really really smart, they come with. if not, they go to hell. hey - it's not my rule; blame food religion. i am totally here to save.

anywho, i've pasted part of my day 1 email below, for which i had two very very smart attendees.

TONIGHT'S PICK:
The Big Gay Ice Cream Truck: http://www.biggayicecreamtruck.com/
  • I'm weird (or should I say I'm gay?) and follow them on twitter. It looks as though they set up on Broadway and 17th today around 1pm. I wonder if they'll still be there around 9pm. It's all very mysterious. Regardless, I'm going to make my way over to Union Square to look for it tonight. I don't imagine it'll be too hard to find a rainbow truck. And even if it's not there, I think it'll be fun to run around looking for it. "Excuse me, but have you seen a gay ice cream truck?"
  • Why it must be tried: toasted coconut curry; salted caramel. All on ... ice cream?!
Fantastic, right? Believe me, it's great to be a city kid.

More on the 10-day challenge to come...

No comments: